Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tough Patience

I was a runner for 23 years.  My athletic claim to fame is that I was the oldest NAIA Division II athlete to letter in cross country when I attended the University of Sioux Falls!  My most enjoyable run was the Lincoln ½ marathon with Thomas and Kristi Beyer to celebrate Kristi’s 40th birthday!    

As a distance runner, I understand the term “run with endurance” in Hebrews 12.1 (NLT) --  
And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

The term I DON’T understand is found in the King James translation of this verse –
… and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

When I think of doing something with patience, I think of “non-activity” – like waiting, sitting still, counting to 10, etc.  And there is no question in my mind that the patience of “non-activity” takes tremendous strength.  (If you doubt that, trying being still the next time someone cuts you off in traffic!)

This cartoon illustrates well what most think of when they hear the word “patience” –

               







The question I asked myself was “how does one run with patience”?   As I struggled to understand this phrase, I realized that the patience that runs takes greater strength than the patience of non-activity.   

 When we run with patience the race that is set before us, we run with—
                the strength to continue working after a setback
                                the strength to go about daily life with deep sorrow in our hearts
the strength keep running the race God has set before us in the midst of uncertainty
the strength to keep moving forward in the midst of the mundane
the strength to continue to trust God regardless of our challenging circumstances
                the strength stay clean and sober

Here’s where running with patience gets really tough.  We patiently run the race in our workplace, while shopping, during social events, while serving others, and at church.

And here’s where running with patience becomes do-able.  God is running the race with us!  We are never alone.  When our strength is depleted, His takes over!    

                Even youths will become weak and tired,
                                and young men will fall in exhaustion.
                But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
                                They will soar high on wings like eagles.
                They will run and not grow weary.
                                They will walk and not faint.
(Isaiah 40:30-31)


1 comment: