Monday, October 24, 2011

Highway 59

Stretching across the high plains of Wyoming between Gillette and Douglas is 120 miles of pavement known as Highway 59.  http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl  As far as I know, it has never been considered a “scenic highway.” 

I traveled Highway 59 on Sunday, October 9thtwice!  I traveled north to Gillette with a pickup packed with Wendy’s possessions.  After emptying my pickup of boxes; small appliances; and a dresser, I traveled south toward Douglas and Cheyenne with a full load of alone-ness!

Dawn had left the day before as a “designated driver” for her parents on a sixteen day trip through Minnesota, Nebraska, and Iowa.  A few hours before, Wendy had completed her move to her new home. 

South of Bill, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill,_Wyoming, the cab of my pickup was filled with darkness. The darkness of feeling alone.  That feeling only a husband can feel when he knows he won’t touch or see his wife for an extended period of time.  That feeling that only a dad can have when he realizes his “little girl” is now a young lady and her heart truly belongs to someone else! 

As I traveled south with the clouds building in my heart, I topped a hill and was overwhelmed at the sight before me!  My words cannot describe the beauty of what was in front of me.  Please use your imagination as I attempt to describe what I experienced:  I could see for miles.  The Medicine Bow Mountains and Laramie Peak formed the distant horizon.  The foreground was the North Platte River with its banks clothed with fall colors.  A gaggle of Canadian geese soared across my line of sight.  Snow clouds hugged Laramie Peak and huddled over the rest of the Medicine Bow range. 


It was a moment I cannot describe.  It was a moment I will never forget.  It was a moment when God spoke into my heart and said,
 You’re NOT alone!
I am right here with you! 
I will watch over your girls! 
Both now and forever!    



Your faithfulness extends to every generation, as enduring as the earth you created (Psalm 119.90)

No comments:

Post a Comment