Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Breaking News for AA'ers

Breaking news to all who revere AA’s Big Book and AA’s co-founder, Bill W. 

Bill W. is NOT God and the Big Book is not divinely inspired! 
 
I am convinced that most who attend AA view the Big Book as “divinely inspired” (a direct quote from three individuals active in AA) and the final authority on spirituality.

Yes.  I have read the Big Book.  I have also spent fifteen years reading and studying the Good Book, aka The Bible.  What I have discovered is that the spiritual principles for life found in the Big Book come from the Bible.  In fact, there are many direct quotes from the Bible in the Big Book. 

 I just finished reading The Spirituality of Imperfection by Kurtz and Ketcham and found that the spiritual principles the authors claim are unique to Bill W and AA are found in the Bible.  The authors quote from every source imaginable – Buddhism to Zen to the philosophy of William James – to state the basic spiritual principles for recovery.  Every source, that is, except the Bible.  However, every spiritual principle they state is found in the Bible!!

I’m also convinced that the authors of The Spirituality of Imperfection – as well as most of the individuals I know who attend AA – view Bill W. as some sort of god!  The good news is that he is NOT God! 

It seems to be a forgotten fact that Bill W. is the CO-FOUNDER of AA.  The other founder is Dr. Bob.  Dr. Bob and Bill W. had a difference of opinion on the future direction of AA because of their differing views on spirituality.  Bill W. insisted that any direct reference to God be replaced with “higher power” as to be more inclusive.  He also insisted that the wording of several of the steps be worded differently as to “not offend Catholics.”  I think Bill W. was PC before PC was cool! 

Dr. Bob, on the other hand, remained on the original path of AA and his meetings were basically a Bible study.  I find it interesting that I have not seen a coffee mug with “Dr. Bob rode a Harley” or an editorial or on-line comment signed “a friend of Dr. Bob.”  I HAVE seen just the opposite… “Bill W rode a Harley” and “a friend of Bill W”.  

If you Google “founders of AA,” what you will see is “Bill W.”  What happened to Dr. Bob?  Why is he so obscure?  I have seen several pamphlets about AA with Bill W’s name included but I have yet to see one with Dr. Bob.  I wonder why?  Is it because he stayed true to his conviction that holistic recovery included a personal relationship with Jesus Christ?  That it was foolish to consider your dog or a door knob as a “higher power”?    

My point:  If we really want to understand the spiritual principles of life, let’s return to the origin.

                              Read the Good Book.

Study the Good Book.  

Live the Good Book. 

I’m not saying throw out the Big Book.  I am saying read it like you would any other reference or self-help book.  But make the Good Book your primary source!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment