Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Out of control!

Two confessions:  One.  I’m a bit of a control freak.  (Many of you who know me are saying, “Seriously?!!?” and laughing.)  Two, I get a little ‘tweaked’ when I acknowledge that I am not in control of many of the circumstances I experience in life.  When I get out of the “driver’s seat” and turn over control to someone else, it makes me extremely uncomfortable and, yes, frightened.   My typical response when asked to “slide over,” is “What??!!!??”  


Am I the only one with this problem or are you with me in this? 

So, here’s the truth we must embrace and accept:  We can’t control our circumstances.  The only thing we can control is how we respond to our circumstances!

This morning when I read Mary’s story in the Gospel of Luke 1.26-56, I was amazed at her trust in God and His word! 

Mary was a teenager when the angel Gabriel told her to get out of the driver’s seat because God was going to do an amazing thing with and through her. 

“Slide over, Mary.  You will conceive and give birth to a son .. a son conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit.” 

What!!???!!

She found herself pregnant even though she was a virgin! 

What??!!??

She experienced the disappointment, dismay and disbelief of her family, friends, and fiancé.

What??!!??

This child whom the angels told her would be “holy and called the Son of God.” 

What??!!??

She would find herself in a smelly stable giving birth to this “Son of God, Son of the Most High”! 

What??!!??

What control did Mary have over her circumstances?  None.  She could not control God’s plan to send a Savior for all of humanity.  She could not control her financial poverty.  She could not control her family’s response to her “unexpected pregnancy.”  She could not control Joseph’s response to her apparent “disgrace.” 

In the midst of her circumstances, Mary held tight to the promises of God she received through the angel Gabriel.  She found serenity and gave birth to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

When life seems out of control and we want to shout, “What!!??!!,”  we need to find serenity by holding tightly to God’s promises found in His word.  When we do this, we, too, will find serenity “in the passenger’s seat!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment